Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

What's selling this week and an apology to my blog's readers

You may have noticed that I haven't posted as many posts in the last few weeks, and I have to apologise.  It's not because I haven't got lots to say about the books I've been reading, just that a lot of my time at the moment has been taken up with a little project I am embarking on (or maybe not so little).  I am opening a bookshop!  My expected opening will be in early August but at the moment the shop is still being finished inside, and then there's the bookshelves to be built and books to buy, as well as computers and software and ...  The list is a bit daunting but I've got most of it in hand.  I'm sure there will be some hiccups on the path to opening day.

I thought I would start writing a regular end of the week post about what is happening on the sales charts (as provided by Nielsen Bookscan) and new books that I'm finding out about as I select books for the shop.  So here's the first.

The fastest mover on the charts for the week ending 29 May 2010 was the non fiction book, Slow Death by Rubber Duck by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie (University of Queensland Press, $34.95).  Featured in The Age today, the book is the outcome of research by Smith and Lourie to measure how much of the chemicals that are part of the products that we use everyday, are absorbed by our bodies.  Using themselves as lab rats, their conclusions will make us all think twice of the products we buy.

In the fiction department, the vampire books still rein with the latest in the Vampire Academy series, Spirit Bound, by Richelle Mead at number 1 and Dead in the Family (the Sookie Stackhouse books that the True Blood TV series is based on) by Charlaine Harris is at number 6.  I have read the first few of the Sookie Stackhouse books and they are certainly good for a bit of escapism if you like this genre.

In the charts for independent bookshops (that will be me), these two feature in the top 10 as well, but they are joined by Lionel Shriver's new book So Much for That (author of We need to talk about Kevin) and Hitch-22: A memoir by Christopher Hitchen, a well known British born but American resident, political and social commentator.  Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey has also entered the top 10 given it's short list selection for the Miles Franklin Award this year.  You can read my review of this here.

2 comments:

Sandy Fussell said...

We definitely need more bookshops! I was in my local one today and it was closing down - at first I was horrified(despite grabbing a few bargains) but then I heard it was actually good news, my store is moving closer to me!! Where will your bookstore be?

Tracey said...

Sandy, the bookshop will be in Sandringham, Victoria, an area with lots of children who love your books! (including mine)